Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

70's band Darts.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Just youtube some off their tracks,i can remember them dont think they ever had a 'smash' hit but Duke of Earl i like and the vocals are good on their tracks with a solid playing band back up ? Has anyone ever seen them at their 'best' ? They look as if in smallish venue they would soon have the room rocking,has anyone ever seen them ? :banana:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
They had loads of hits 'Daddy Cool', 'Boy from New York City', 'Duke of Earl' etc etc. 'The Amazing Darts' was the first album I ever owned when I was very young. I blooming loved that album esp the medley with "You looking for trouble...I'm Evil etc etc"

And I believe that an NSC regular was in the brass section of the band.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I don't know the band, but Duke of Earl is an old tune from the 60's that has certainly proved a popular cover in reggae circles, with the likes of Alton Ellis, Cornell Campbell and Ken Boothe all giving it a good run out. I agree, it's a good tune.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
Superb band. Add Come back my love, Its raining, but favourite was Daddy Cool - mad song with pointless lyrics but just brilliant!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Just youtube some off their tracks,i can remember them dont think they ever had a 'smash' hit but Duke of Earl i like and the vocals are good on their tracks with a solid playing band back up ? Has anyone ever seen them at their 'best' ? They look as if in smallish venue they would soon have the room rocking,has anyone ever seen them ? :banana:

Saw them a couple of times when our local band in the Medway Towns 'Late Show' used to support them. Darts were tremendous fun live! There was I think about nine of them, right bunch of characters. They did 'Daddy Cool' on TOTP like ... THIS!

:banana:

seagullsslimjim

Sep 26, 2003
Saw them when i was 9ish at The Assembly Hall in Worthing - Nigel Trubridge played the saxophone (Lancing i think) and his mum or aunt bought our old house in Goring back in 1976. Even went backstage - Songs were very good !!

raymondbriggs

Dec 21, 2008
on a snowman plough
Knoll School boys,Old Shoreham Road Hove.
Split from Rocky Sharp and The Razors,who played at The Richmond (now The Pressure Point?) till they got banned because of their fans smashing it up,but then-R.S.&.T.R. got banned from practically every pub in the music circuit from London down,Rocky Sharp and the Razors and Mary Wilson(voice of the beehive)were spin offs for that unholy trinity.

AND THEY WERE CRAP!!!!!!!!!

mgh0406

Feb 17, 2012
Saw them in Benidorm in 1983. They were pretty good, from a slightly pissed memory. Got their Greatest Hits on my return, good fun band.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
One of them posts on here quite regularly I believe

Edit Buzzer beat me to it I see

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
And I believe that an NSC regular was in the brass section of the band.

Namely [MENTION=242]Hornblower[/MENTION] (Horatio Hornblower, Darts sax player)

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Think we had them at a uni gig back in the early 80s - great fun live. Was reminded of them yesterday listening to Jeremy Vine playing doo-wop on Radio 2. Anyone else here the group he had in the studio: The Testostertones?

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade

Yep, me and my mates from school went to see Darts in Brighton as our first 'gig' in the late seventies. They were pretty good, can't be sure but I think the venue may have been the Dome.

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
I have known this for a long time, I just hope he is ok with you telling everyone :shrug:

I don't have a problem with being outed. Darts still gig, we're playing the 100 Club at the end of March, still a few tickets left - you're all welcome!

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I don't have a problem with being outed. Darts still gig, we're playing the 100 Club at the end of March, still a few tickets left - you're all welcome!

You might remember my old man - Robin the clarinettist. He was M.U. branch secretary for a while & knew all the Heathershaws guys. Also drank in the Clifton.

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
Not sure which one it was, but I bought an odd shaped bar, designed like the front of a boat, off one of them. (Lived in Ferring) I was pleased with it, but when I got married it was the first thing she chucked out.

Also went to the Dome gig. When Heggerty? I think was his name, appeared on stage with glasses, they were mine, having had them swiped off me as he ran down the aisle.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here