Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

7 days in football - Cardiff/Newcastle/Palace

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Can't find the original 7-day thread, but if you'd asked me last week, I would have taken:

1) Cardiff ruin Palace's Wembley dreams (and effectively end their season)
2) Albion beat Newcastle in FA Cup (and then draw Liverpool)
3) Albion come back to draw at Palace

Wouldn't you? :banana:

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Yes. A win at Palace would have been the icing on the cake, but I'd have taken a point given the exertions against Newcastle a few days before

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
It's been a great week although I didn't revel in Cardiff winning. More about the Schadenfreude in seeing Palace bottle the penalties.

But now I just want kick-off times for Liverpool ASAP so I can think about rearranging flights!

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Yes. A win at Palace would have been the icing on the cake, but I'd have taken a point given the exertions against Newcastle a few days before
The other side of that coin is we were sharp and match fit and they, having had the weekend off, weren't. Players always say they prefer playing to training. Witness the performance against Peterborough after extra-time and penalties (and a 24 hour postponement) against Wrexham.

Slightly disappointed myself as I genuinely thought we'd win, still, I'll take the draw. And both long term and short term I'd much rather be in our position than Palace's.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Can't find the original 7-day thread, but if you'd asked me last week, I would have taken:

1) Cardiff ruin Palace's Wembley dreams (and effectively end their season)

Along with Vokes, Reyes and Mattock signing and none of our players leaving, it has been a brilliant week.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Superb week, shame Calderon's screamer didn't go in or it would have been perfect. Leicester will be a big test though...

D

Deleted member 18477

The other side of that coin is we were sharp and match fit and they, having had the weekend off, weren't. Players always say they prefer playing to training. Witness the performance against Peterborough after extra-time and penalties (and a 24 hour postponement) against Wrexham.

Slightly disappointed myself as I genuinely thought we'd win, still, I'll take the draw. And both long term and short term I'd much rather be in our position than Palace's.

players may think that but their bodies would be thinking the opposite. rest is good.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010

And how much better Cardiff were against Palace, despite playing their first team in a 3-2 win the Saturday before and Palace resting their whole team

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
players may think that but their bodies would be thinking the opposite. rest is good.
Well I completely disagree but there you go. 'Rest', especially enforced rest (as Palace had) means you lose sharpness. There is obviously a happy medium in between doing too much and doing too little but our players were nowhere near the 'too much' stage. And don't forget the psychological aspect, the feelgood factor of the Newcastle win has put a spring into everyone's step.

D

Deleted member 18477

Well I completely disagree but there you go. 'Rest', especially enforced rest (as Palace had) means you lose sharpness. There is obviously a happy medium in between doing too much and doing too little but our players were nowhere near the 'too much' stage. And don't forget the psychological aspect, the feelgood factor of the Newcastle win has put a spring into everyone's step.

your telling me your body loses sharpness if you have a week off suppose to 3 days off? ridiculous! players would much rather have 7 days off between games. they quite often say they dont recover fully till the tuesday after a saturday game. which meant our players were fully recovering the same day as the next game. the psychological aspect is a different matter altogether. palace players would have felt fresh but our players would have been confident after the previous result. although a big game dont forget can mentally take a lot out of you. but good players should thrive off big games!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

1) Cardiff ruin Palace's Wembley dreams winning on penalties with palace missing 3 out of 4 (and effectively end their season)

Would have taken that all day long

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
your telling me your body loses sharpness if you have a week off suppose to 3 days off? ridiculous! players would much rather have 7 days off between games. they quite often say they dont recover fully till the tuesday after a saturday game. which meant our players were fully recovering the same day as the next game. the psychological aspect is a different matter altogether. palace players would have felt fresh but our players would have been confident after the previous result. although a big game dont forget can mentally take a lot out of you. but good players should thrive off big games!
I think you're making some massive assumptions there. All I'm saying is that you can't say Palace's preparation was better because they didn't play on Saturday and we did. As I said in my original post, it's swings and roundabouts and you can make a case either way. And as I said I think the Peterborough game is a good example of match practice being better than training ground practice.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Absolutely agree.

I said in the pub before the game that if it has to be a draw its gotta be one where we equalise (so it feels like a win)

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Can we not make this a 'last 10 days' thread?

Buckley's last winner at Peterborough, and Palace conceding twice in the last few minutes at Blackpool on the same afternoon, as Dougie rested his first team to ensure a smooth passage to Wembley......

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Can we not make this a 'last 10 days' thread?

Buckley's last winner at Peterborough, and Palace conceding twice in the last few minutes at Blackpool on the same afternoon, as Dougie rested his first team to ensure a smooth passage to Wembley......

Icing on the cake that - Cardiff playing their first team and winning 3-2 against Pompey to remain firmly on the promotion trail before playing and beating Palace, Freedman resting the Palace first team, losing against Blackpool and Cardiff - poptastic! If Carlsberg made f*** ups and all that.

:clap::clap::clap: :clap:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here