Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

£67 visa fee needed before you travel to the USA

If you renew your passport in the next 18 months, you'll have to get a visa before the Americans will let you in. That means turning up in person at the US embassy, queuing for ages, and coughing up £67.

Outrageous.

From the BBC website:-

US urged to extend visa deadline

UK diplomats say they are working with their US counterparts to try to save thousands of British visitors having to apply for visas to enter the US.

Currently British travellers can visit the US for up to three months without a visa under the "visa waiver" scheme.

But new passports issued after 26 October must hold "biometric" data such as digital images or fingerprints - or a visa will be needed.

The UK authorities will not be able to issue such passports before mid-2005.

British travellers holding a "machine-readable" passport - issued in Britain since November 1991 - can still travel to the US without a visa for the 10-year lifetime of their document.

They will then have their fingerprints and photographs taken on arrival in the US.

But those who get a new passport after October 26, but before biometric ones are available, will have to purchase a visa at a cost of £67.

More than four million Britons a year travel to the US, and hundreds of thousands of them would be affected by the arrangements as they currently stand.

British officials are believed to be lobbying Washington hard to extend the deadline or make alternative arrangements.

Correspondents say most other visa waiver countries - mainly in western Europe, but also including Japan and Australia - will also be unable to issue "biometric" passports before the US deadline.

A British Embassy spokesman said: "We are in close contact with the Department of Homeland Security on the issue of biometrics, and have been from the start, and we continue to work to find a solution."

Homeland security secretary Tom Ridge said the US aimed to be "open to visitors but closed to terrorists".

About 15.1 million tourists entered the US under the visa waiver programme last year, accounting for two-thirds of spending by foreign visitors.

Holidaymakers heading for winter sunshine breaks in Florida and ski resorts for the early season are likely to be among the first of many queuing for visas at the American Embassy in Grosvenor Square, London.

On Monday, stringent new security regulations were introduced at the US's 115 international airports and 14 major seaports,

The system allows officials to instantly check an immigrant or visitor's criminal background.

Since 11 September 2001, flying anywhere has changed. Two of the hijackers on that day had entered the US on student visas, but neither ever turned up for college.

The Department of Homeland Security believes the extra immigration checks would have picked up on that discrepancy.

For the American Government there can never be too many checks. Air travel may now be more complex but the US administration is adamant it will not deter visitors from heading to the US.

Instead, they believe the very public extra security is a reassurance - an obvious sign that America is looking hard for those who threaten its citizens.

marvin

Jul 5, 2003
The corner quietly rusting
It is therefore a good idea to renew early if you have a passport that expires in the next 12 - 18 months and you think a visit to the States is likely.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
marvin said:
It is therefore a good idea to renew early if you have a passport that expires in the next 12 - 18 months and you think a visit to the States is likely.

Good idea in principle, but I think that there may be a limit on the amount of time before a passport expires that you can renew it, ie the Passport Agency may not accept an application say 12 months in advance unless you say you have lost your existing passport. I don't know for certain though, so may be worth checking.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
I had a 10-year visa for the US of A until the UK passport office invalidated it by cutting though my entire expired passport instead of just the front page.

Cvnts. :angry:

rool

Jul 10, 2003
As far as I am aware the newer passports have a line of coded text below your photo. These will be fine as they are machine readable. I will be going to Florida in May and was told it would be fine before the original deadline of Oct 2003. As this line of text only includes info about the passport holder though children will have to have their own passport.

I say we should make the Yanks pay £100 and get a visa as well as they haven't had to do for ages.

Brits only got the waiver about 5/6 years ago after years of negotiations, and that was for visits for less than 3 months.

I can see their tourism industry going even worse than after 9/11.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Huh ! I got refused entry before Christams for merely being married to an American. They're idiots and dumb idiots at that. People who would have travelled to Florida will now think twice as it's cheaper to travel to Europe and frankly not a whole lot different. WHy pay £67 a time ?

I now do not know whether I can actually go to the US again and I am having to take legal action to get some sense out of the American Embassy (they're clearly embarrassed about the INS action against me).

Am having serious doubts about going back, I may end up having to get devorced.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Alternatively don't visit the land of obese fat wankers and save yourself money.

Not a hard choice.

munster monch said:
As far as I am aware the newer passports have a line of coded text below your photo. These will be fine as they are machine readable.
That's true, but only if the passport is issued BEFORE October 2004. Identical machine-readable passports issued AFTER October won't get you into America, not even for a two week holiday.

It's this sort of stupidity that makes the US a laughing stock and gives me no confidence that they have any sort of clue about how to conduct their "war against terrorism".

Instead of targeting terrorists they are throwing their resources into organising queues at Grosvenor Square.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Mike C Gull said:
Brits only got the waiver about 5/6 years ago after years of negotiations, and that was for visits for less than 3 months.

I can see their tourism industry going even worse than after 9/11.

Don't think so, I tavelled to the US in 1991 on a Visa waiver.

marvin

Jul 5, 2003
The corner quietly rusting
munster monch said:
As far as I am aware the newer passports have a line of coded text below your photo. These will be fine as they are machine readable. I will be going to Florida in May and was told it would be fine before the original deadline of Oct 2003. As this line of text only includes info about the passport holder though children will have to have their own passport.

They do they is not the problem.

It is the passports issued between October this year and sometime in 2005.

These passports will need "biometric" information on them. If you do not have a passport with "biometric" info that is issued after the date in October you will need a visa. Even if they are machine readable.

BHX fly to Mexico, get a suntan, pass over the border as an illegal. :)

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Does that mean, though, that if I get a passport now for my 8 & 10 year old that they will not get entry to america in May without a visa or will I be still able to take them on mine until Oct 2004?

Buggerations

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Lord Bracknell said:
That's true, but only if the passport is issued BEFORE October 2004. Identical machine-readable passports issued AFTER October won't get you into America, not even for a two week holiday.

It's this sort of stupidity that makes the US a laughing stock and gives me no confidence that they have any sort of clue about how to conduct their "war against terrorism".

Instead of targeting terrorists they are throwing their resources into organising queues at Grosvenor Square.

Well what about the shit I'm going through ? I didn't do anything wrong but was still taken in handcuffs to a detention centre where I was supposed to sleep on a concrete floor because some **** in tye INS had decided that I was going to overstay. This mind you, in the face of proof that I wasn't going to, this included two letters about hospital apointments due days after I came back. Apparently this was 'irrelevent' as was the fact that I had copies of the documents for my wife's upcoming tests for cancer.

Frankly I feel like smashing a few Americans in the face for just being here. too f***ing right I'm furious.

Seagull Stew

Don't worry about it. When the trigger happy yanks start insisting on armed guards on all planes into America, not a single British pilot will agree to fly into America anyway, so you'd have a job trying to find a way of getting into America anyway.
Unless of course they make more Titanics!
:ohmy:

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I think I'm ok Jack

This is off www.passport.gov.uk

ENTRY TO THE USA: NEW REQUIREMENTS FROM 26 OCTOBER 2004

FROM 26 OCTOBER 2004 ALL CHILDREN WILL NEED THEIR OWN PASSPORTS TO ENTER THE USA.

The US has granted an extension of its Visa Waiver Programme to holders of non-machine-readable British passports travelling to the United States.

This means that all British passport holders, including children, travelling to the USA under the Visa Waiver Programme will need their own machine-readable passport with effect from 26 October 2004, rather than from the original date of 1 October 2003.

From 26 October 2004 anyone without a machine-readable passport, including children who are currently on a parent’s passport will need a visa to travel to the USA. Airlines will not allow children without their own passports or a US visa for them in an adult’s passport to board flights to the USA. So if you are planning a visit to Walt Disney World, or anywhere else in the USA, we would advise you to apply in good time for passports for all children who will be travelling, or to contact the US Embassy about obtaining visas.

I hope I read it right

Lord Cornwallis

Dust my pants
Jul 9, 2003
Across the pond
Beach Hut said:
Alternatively don't visit the land of obese fat wankers and save yourself money.

Not a hard choice.

Shut it, you pile of planks. :D

This country just keeps getting better doesn't it ?
I am picturing that scene from Airplane, where the little old lady is being searched while behind her all the terrorists are walking through with all kinds of hardware.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Frankly my situation is now turning farcical. I can't enter the US yet my US lawyer tells me I need to make my naturalisation application from within there. This is aided and abetted by the fact that the US Embassy are not only not providing me with the information and advice I require but in fact out and out lying to me (Fact) as I am now considering taking legal action against them for my treatment in December (which I am told was quite illegal).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here