Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

50 million to one ?

the slow norris

Feb 8, 2005
Suffolk

surely though those aren't the "real" odds. What I mean is, if the date that you gave birth on was completely random, then yes, odds are high.

But you can manipulate the dates you give birth on. So if I wanted a child to be born on 10/10/10, then I'd try and conceive on 10/1/10. Now considering you're considered full term 4 weeks pre and 2 weeks post, the window you're actually going to give birth on is reduced to a window of 54 days. So odds should be 54*54*54/1. Am I missing something?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
There was a couple in the Argus today whose three children (aged, I think, 1 week, 3 years and five years) all have birthdays on the same date, think it was 7th October.

Going to get expensive in years to come....

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Now considering you're considered full term 4 weeks pre and 2 weeks post, the window you're actually going to give birth on is reduced to a window of 54 days. So odds should be 54*54*54/1. Am I missing something?
No

What is worth a bet is that the third child was planned to appear on that particular day.
And delivered by C section 2 weeks early.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
Perfect example of a hack picking a number out of thin air where probability is concerned. Your calculation is much closer, and then you have to factor in that last one is clearly related to previous two. Can't just multiply it out.

Sep 1, 2010
Was there not not lady on the local news this week that has just had a 3rd child and they have all been born on the 7th October........that must be long odds

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
time of the conceptions must have been hectic

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here