Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

5 wins out of 5 WON'T be enough

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
I don't want to sound all negative, because believe or not I don't think it is beyond the realms of possibility that we could actually win our last 5 games. However, I can't possibly believe 75 points will be enough. I'm trying to convince myself that it will be but I can't.

Forest are 9 points clear of us so would have to lose three games for us to even be level with them. Not gonna happen. Even if we beat Southend, we would still be 5 points behind them. I can't see them dropping 5 points in 4 games. Leeds are now widely expected to get 5 points back, so they are effectively 9 clear of us. Also not going to happen. In their current form, I doubt they will drop 4 points anyway so getting the points back may be an irrelevance.

Someone please convince me otherwise.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Put all thoughts of a play off out of your mind. It AIN'T gonna happen.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
It could be. The thread title is a little misleading.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
Maybe?? Until it is mathematically impossible don't give up hope

Remember being 11 points adrift from safety one christmas? look what happened there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
When you're down the bottom, everyone else around you is throwing away more points than they're winning - that doesn't apply here unfortunately.

I am the eternal optimist and still live in hope as the teams above us play a few games against each other and will lose points!

Last edited:

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
If we win all five of our remaining games, we will make the playoffs.

That is assuming Leeds don't get any points back.

But we won't win all five games, no way! Wilkins' points target before yesterdays game was 13 points from all remaining games. That is still acheivable with 4 wins and a draw.

Can we do it? I dont know, but it's not impossible and we still have to believe and get behind the team!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
If we beat Southend then we pick up points from them. On Saturday Leeds have to play Carlisle with an early kick off , so there will be an added incentive to beat Luton if (when) the mighty Leeds drop 3 points. Southend also have to play Carlisle, so the 5th and 6th place spots are still acheivable.

Donny and Forest will get more than 75 points easily. Leeds and Southend can also get more than 75 points, without too much trouble (even if we beat Southend).

And even if we had beaten Port Vale, we probably still wouldn't have made the playoffs.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
We avoided relegation, which some people doubted we could even do that.

5 games left we are still in the race, as has been said before a lot of the top 8 have to play each other, and theres nothing to say what happened to us on Saturday will happen to another team.

We were quite a way behind Walsall not long ago, Man U were 8 points behind Arsenal in February, things can change!

With a 4 point gap and 15 to play for impossible is nothing (as the advert goes)

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
At the end of the day, we are not in a strong position following the debacle against Port Vale but you do need to look at the fixtures. We need to beat Southend to close the gap. They then have both Carlisle and Tranmere away to play. Lose all three then thats the 9pts they could lose. Win our 5 (hope) and we are on 75 pts, Southend on 74. Suspect Leeds will get some point back so they will be certain of one play-off spot. Just need Forest to beat Tranmere away and the max Tranmere can get is 71 pts. This is of course only one permutation but agree we need to look to win all 5. Hopefully Swansea will celebrate the title with a night out in Brighton the day before our match.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here