Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

4th Round TV games

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
This is Man Utd's 30th consecutive televised cup match is a stat I read a day or two back.

Good stat. Can anyone think of a possible cup tie involving Manchester United that wouldn't be televised live, given how many ties are covered live these days? Or are they never again going to kick off a cup tie (except the FA cup final) at 3pm on a Saturday?

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
How about 3rd round, at home to unglamorous Championship side (Preston? Cov? Not too down-at-heel: Scunny sounds like a potential shock), when there are a handful of premiership derbies and non-league v Premer league ties also happening?

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Man U will always be chosen live home or away, as it guarantees a certain level of tv audience which sells advertising for the tv company, which unfortunately is what its all about.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Can't believe Notts County vs Manchester City (providing they win their replay) isn't on the box. Should be a good 'un that. They knocked out Sunderland in the last round.

Leeds potentially on TV YET again. Why do the media wank over them so much? :shrug:

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Can't believe Notts County vs Manchester City (providing they win their replay) isn't on the box. Should be a good 'un that. They knocked out Sunderland in the last round.

Leeds potentially on TV YET again. Why do the media wank over them so much? :shrug:

Becuase they are such a big club! ???

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I decided to have an email rant:

Dear ITV,

As far as I can work out your order of preference when selecting which live FA Cup games to show goes along the lines of:

1. The game involving Man Utd
2. Another game, doesn't really matter which one people only want to watch Man Utd

Believe it or not people do actually want to see other teams, especially on terrestrial TV where we don't exactly get a lot of live football to watch. I am a Brighton & Hove Albion supporter and I'm not expecting Watford v Brighton to be the highlight of the 4th round but it's the sort of game that could be very entertaining and it's 2 sides that people won't have seen on TV too much. Some other more interesting games:

Notts County v Leicester/Man City
Torquay v Crawley
Stevenage v Reading

Please can you consider a different approach to game selection.

Regards,
Charlie

I feel better now :D

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Happy with that, adds more to the Southampton tie and hopefully distracts them.

I think they have a chance as well

BASINGSTOKESEAGULL

Jul 26, 2010
Yeah but thinking about it, that is a massive chance of a giantkilling, which is what the TV want to show, and people want to see. If Saints v United wasn't on, and saints won, I guarantee you would all complain that you couldn't watch it. Not that I am defending ITV, there coverage is shit.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Yeah but thinking about it, that is a massive chance of a giantkilling, which is what the TV want to show, and people want to see. If Saints v United wasn't on, and saints won, I guarantee you would all complain that you couldn't watch it. Not that I am defending ITV, there coverage is shit.

This is the crux of it. If we had been drawn at home against ManUre then I'm sure we would have been on as well. For us it would have been 1983 revisited - for the saints game all the coverage will be based around the 1976 final.

I thought I might have as much luck with this one

Dear Shoot,

As far as I can work out ITV's order of preference when selecting which live FA Cup games to show goes along the lines of:

1. The game involving Man Utd
2. Another game, doesn't really matter which one people only want to watch Man Utd

Believe it or not people do actually want to see other teams, especially on terrestrial TV where we don't exactly get a lot of live football to watch. I am a Brighton & Hove Albion supporter and I'm not expecting Watford v Brighton to be the highlight of the 4th round but it's the sort of game that could be very entertaining and it's 2 sides that people won't have seen on TV too much. Some other more interesting games:

Notts County v Leicester/Man City
Torquay v Crawley
Stevenage v Reading

Please can you consider telling ITV to have a different approach to game selection.

Regards'
Dr N

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
30 consecutive is FA Cup only. The list is, by all accounts (don't blame me if it's wrong)...

2005:
Third Round replay: Exeter (away) BBC
Fourth Round: Middlesbrough (home) BBC
Fifth Round: Everton (away) BBC
Sixth Round: Southampton (away) BBC
Semi-final: Newcastle BBC
Final: Arsenal BBC

2006:
Third round: Burton (away) Sky
Third Round replay: Burton (home) BBC
Fourth Round: Wolves (away) Sky
Fifth Round: Liverpool (away) BBC

2007:
Third Round: Aston Villa (home) BBC
Fourth Round: Portsmouth (home) BBC
Fifth Round: Reading (home) BBC
Fifth Round replay: Reading (away) BBC
Sixth Round: Middlesbrough (away) BBC
Sixth Round replay: Middlesbrough (home) Sky
Semi-final: Watford BBC
Final: Chelsea BBC

2008:
Third Round: Aston Villa (away) BBC
Fourth Round: Tottenham Hotspur (home) BBC
Fifth Round: Arsenal (home) BBC
Sixth Round: Portsmouth (home) Sky

2009:
Third Round: Southampton (away) Setanta
Fourth Round: Tottenham (home) ITV
Fifth Round: Derby (away) ITV
Sixth Round: Fulham (away) ITV
Semi-final: Everton ITV

2010:
Third Round: Leeds (home) ITV

2011:
Third Round: Liverpool (home) ITV
Fourth Round: Southampton (away) ITV

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
f*** sake :angry:

Who the f*** wants to watch Fulham Tottenham? Sunday football with a bus service :yawn: Swerve!

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
We have (pretty much) this exact same thread every sodding time the televised cup games are announced. Why are people on here constantly surprised that ITV, on the rare occasions that they get to show football, choose matches involving Premiership sides? Amazingly, ITV and their advertisers want people to actually WATCH their channel. Half a dozen people tuning in to watch Stevenage or Crawley isn't really going to compete with the few million who'll watch Man United or Tottenham.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here