Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

4 yellows yesterday.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
and only 2 for them.

It would be nice to not do 'that' again this year.
We should be a bit more in control it being the second season, and 100 times more solid.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Can't be helped if you have a ref that doesn't apply the rules correctly. Gus pisses the refs/assistants off. Ref gets revenge by booking players for infringements that he might have let go.

We are going to have to live with it for having a passionate manager. Strength in depth will overcome this.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
It's far from the first time a crap ref has over-penalised us when our opposition were behaving worse. As clippedgull says, I think we're paying the price for Gus having mouthed off in the past (which stinks, but it's in line with the way English football is run generally speaking).

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
According to Radio Sussex the ref had a stinker yesterday.

The commentary team were perplexed by many of his decisions. The number of times they said "that was a late tackle" by Burnley, but no card was shown, whereas Bruno and Buckley seemed to get booked for very little.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
and only 2 for them.

It would be nice to not do 'that' again this year.
We should be a bit more in control it being the second season, and 100 times more solid.

Yellow cards are an occupational hazard for footballers, and sometimes you're going to pick up ones you don't deserve. I think we are more in control already, never mind yesterday. That probably wasn't helped by the fact Burnley fans would have been screaming for cards at every foil, because of the games last season.

Personally I think the fact we haven't had any reds so far this season is more important, and a step forward.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
After four league games last season we had 13 yellow cards. This year we have 6. I'd like to think yesterday's game was an anomaly, and not the start of a return to last season's card level, but so far it's looking better.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
After four league games last season we had 13 yellow cards. This year we have 6. I'd like to think yesterday's game was an anomaly, and not the start of a return to last season's card level, but so far it's looking better.

is it really only 6? If so that's great. The commentator said something along the lines of "they've been picking up a lot of cards again this season."

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
is it really only 6? If so that's great. The commentator said something along the lines of "they've been picking up a lot of cards again this season."

(Swindon: Barnes)
Hull: Noone
Cardiff: No-one
Barnsley: Barnes
Burnley: Bruno, Buckley, Kuszczak, Barnes

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
The biggest problem in the squad is Ashley Barnes. Three bookings already and carrying on where he has left off before.
He just can't seem to control himself. The red mist descends and he goes in search of retribution. He has got to wise up and mature otherwise he is going to miss more games this season.

The biggest problem in the squad is Ashley Barnes. Three bookings already and carrying on where he has left off before.
He just can't seem to control himself. The red mist descends and he goes in search of retribution. He has got to wise up and mature otherwise he is going to miss more games this season.

Spot on - I made the same point in a thread last week. It would be interesting to know if Gus deals with persistent indiscipline as many of Barnes cards are born out of petulance rather than malice.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Can't be helped if you have a ref that doesn't apply the rules correctly. Gus pisses the refs/assistants off. Ref gets revenge by booking players for infringements that he might have let go.

We are going to have to live with it for having a passionate manager. Strength in depth will overcome this.

Other managers are far far worse, and their teams don't get "targeted". I think consistency is the problem with some refs - applying the rules fairly to both teams throughout the game.

Mowgli

Sep 18, 2008
Brighton
Referee was poor yesterday, free kick for our first goal yesterday was given by the lino, ref was happy to play on despite the challenge being a dangerously high foot which caught Bridge in the face and left him on the floor (and no the Burnley player didn't get booked for it). Thought at half time the only way anyone was going to get booked or get a free kick was if there was a serious injury.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

Agreed im surprised he was only sent off once last season...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't quite the 'we are victims' argument.

Every manager mouths off.

We are better/stronger this year, and yes Edna is right we are better disciplined.
But I think that is more by virtue of the fact we couldn't get any worse.

Nevertheless we dominated every stat in the game except fouls commited, won 3-1, and still came away with twice as may cards.

I do realise Kushack's skews it slightly.

Shifty89

Sep 29, 2007
Interesting stat from last season, despite getting the most yellows, in the games we were involved with our opponents averaged more fouls per game and more yellows per game. Yet we were the 'dirty' team.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
We are better/stronger this year, and yes Edna is right we are better disciplined.
But I think that is more by virtue of the fact we couldn't get any worse.

*And that Lewis Dunk isn't playing at the moment.

In all seriousness, it's probably simply that the players have had a year to get used to this level now. When you come up, as we did, opponents are suddenly quicker, sharper, smarter than you're used to, resulting in more stupid fouls being given away. A year on, the existing players have caught up, and we've signed others with greater experience and guile, ergo (hopefully) our record should be a lot better this season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here