Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

3rd ODI: England v Australia at Southampton, Sep 9, 2009

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
England won the toss and elected to bat

England team
RS Bopara, AJ Strauss*, MJ Prior†, OA Shah, PD Collingwood, LJ Wright, EJG Morgan, GP Swann, JM Anderson, RJ Sidebottom, TT Bresnan
Australia team
SR Watson, TD Paine†, CL White, MJ Clarke*, CJ Ferguson, MEK Hussey, JR Hopes, MG Johnson, B Lee, NM Hauritz, NW Bracken

England won the toss and elected to bat

England team
RS Bopara, AJ Strauss*, MJ Prior†, OA Shah, PD Collingwood, LJ Wright, EJG Morgan, GP Swann, JM Anderson, RJ Sidebottom, TT Bresnan
Australia team
SR Watson, TD Paine†, CL White, MJ Clarke*, CJ Ferguson, MEK Hussey, JR Hopes, MG Johnson, B Lee, NM Hauritz, NW Bracken

That's odd - surely Bresnan isn't batting at 11?!

I'm not sure what to make of the way they are treating Rashid; he is in form and has been playing well, but they obviously don't think it is much of a spinners wicket and don't want him to get tonked and lose confidence.

Looks like they want to play Morgan as a 'finisher', someone to come in lower down the order and knock off quick runs as required to reach a target; however he hasn't looked like that sort of player, and I think he bats at 4 for Middlesex doesn't he? Equally, Prior doesn't seem to know what is expected of him at 3. I don't really understand how they can simply play the same batting line up again after the two dismal failures in the first two games.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The batting order (and team) is all wrong considering the last two matches.

There's no way Prior should come in at 3, it's a nothing position for him. Wright and Strauss to open, shift Bopara down a spot and have Prior come in a bit later in the innings.

AND USE THE f***ing POWERPLAY PROPERLY.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
And play Rashid.

I'd have Mascerenhanus in the squad too and probably Cook

The batting order (and team) is all wrong considering the last two matches.

There's no way Prior should come in at 3, it's a nothing position for him. Wright and Strauss to open, shift Bopara down a spot and have Prior come in a bit later in the innings.

AND USE THE f***ing POWERPLAY PROPERLY.

Agreed. As much as anything, by using the powerplay early you force Clarke to use Lee and Johnson more than he would want to, meaning they can bowl less at the death. With everyone fit (I'm looking at you, Joe Denly)

Strauss
Denly
Bopara
Collingwood
Prior
Wright
Rashid
Broad
Swann
Anderson
Onions

You've then potentially got three quicks (Onions, Anderson and Broad), two spinners (Rashid and Swann), one medium pacer (Collingwood) and a couple of others who can bowl (Wright and Bopara), and they can be alternated as required. Also, the batting looks solid down to 9. For the moment, given Denly's injury I'd either open with Morgan or ask Bopara to open and play Bell at 3.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
You know who I hate?

Brett Lee, that's who. Not because he's blatantly a well good bowler but he just chats SO much at the batsman AND he has a stupid haircut.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
You know who I hate?

Brett Lee, that's who. Not because he's blatantly a well good bowler but he just chats SO much at the batsman AND he has a stupid haircut.

3 Consecutive 4's. :bigwave:
Awaiting Strauss to have him wicket smashed out of the ground by a 95mph reverse swinging yorker now..

As much as I hate Brett Lee theres something about the guy I kind of admire..

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Bopara played the whole of the Ashes as if it were a 20/20 match and now he's playing one-dayers like a nightwatchmen

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Listening to TMS online and I swear I just heard some chaps singing GOSBTS

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here