Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

33 mill invested in South Coast Club in two seasons

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Wages made up 93% ( yes 93%) of turnover. Unsustainsable. Do you see what I've done there!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It's a good time to be a fan of two South Coast clubs

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Wages made up 93% ( yes 93%) of turnover. Unsustainsable. Do you see what I've done there!

I'd like to know what our turnover will be this year, rather different to the last few years!

As far as wages as a % of turnover, that will make interesting reading too.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
£15 million is going into building the Class One acadamy so that'll be a huge chunk of it. I hope no one gets on a high horse about investment when you look at us and our £105 million stadium and £15million acadamy on its way.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
"Promotion favourites Southampton have revealed the estate of former owner Markus Liebherr invested £33m in the club in the two seasons to June 2011"

...and they STILL couldn't win the League One title. :lol:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
"Promotion favourites Southampton have revealed the estate of former owner Markus Liebherr invested £33m in the club in the two seasons to June 2011"

...and they STILL couldn't win the League One title. :lol:

Looks highly likely they will the Championship though. That kind of spending must dwarf West Ham surely? I assume this 33 mill is player/staff investment and wages and nothing concrete, so to speak?

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
Turnover up 70% on the previous season as well. will have to wait another year to see what it's been like for this season. It would appear we're in a very strong position though! Being able to restructure debt like this is a massive change from the predicament both clubs found themselves in 5 years ago!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Turnover up 70% on the previous season as well. will have to wait another year to see what it's been like for this season. It would appear we're in a very strong position though! Being able to restructure debt like this is a massive change from the predicament both clubs found themselves in 5 years ago!

Yeah, as I said in the opening post, our debts will be converted to shares eventually as well. Or at least the remaining debt come 2021 or whatever the repayment date was.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Well they should gain promotion with that kind of investment. Amazing to think that they were in administration in 2009.

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
Looks highly likely they will the Championship though. That kind of spending must dwarf West Ham surely? I assume this 33 mill is player/staff investment and wages and nothing concrete, so to speak?

We have the training ground, which we built our own temporary accom for (the FA thought it was the finished article, so must have cost a fair bit). Then we've had other things going on with the stadium and the pitch which have cost large sums. I imagine £10million of that is in player purchases and the rest has been ploughed into the infrastructure. Then ad to that the AOC money, player purchases are covered.

In his latest interview Cortese has stated that getting category 1 is imperative and to do this he had to completely re-construct academy and training ground plans which has pushed th investment in the project to £15million as it's to a higher spec than Chelsea's Cobham ground.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
We have the training ground, which we built our own temporary accom for (the FA thought it was the finished article, so must have cost a fair bit). Then we've had other things going on with the stadium and the pitch which have cost large sums. I imagine £10million of that is in player purchases and the rest has been ploughed into the infrastructure. Then ad to that the AOC money, player purchases are covered.

In his latest interview Cortese has stated that getting category 1 is imperative and to do this he had to completely re-construct academy and training ground plans which has pushed th investment in the project to £15million as it's to a higher spec than Chelsea's Cobham ground.

As much as I dislike Stains fair play to the club then, sounds like they are spending wisely, if not hugely!

PS: Thought Cortese was a chick not a geezer?

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
As much as I dislike Stains fair play to the club then, sounds like they are spending wisely, if not hugely!

PS: Thought Cortese was a chick not a geezer?

This is very true. Money is being invested at the bottom so rewards will be gained at the top.

Many do, he is a breath of fresh air though. Does things his way, doesn't get bullied by other chairman, or the press and keeps things very quiet.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Turnover up 70% on the previous season as well. will have to wait another year to see what it's been like for this season. It would appear we're in a very strong position though! !

Does this quote not concern you at ALL?
Wages made up 93% ( yes 93%) of turnover

Really?
Wages made up 93% ( yes 93%) of turnover
REALLY?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Since coming out of admin, (and paying their way out of it), SCC have been run extremely well off the pitch. As much I dislike the team I admire the way that the football club has conducted itself since escaped financial ruin unlike their thieving neighbours. Good on em, looks like the investment will pay off with premiership football and a possible championship to boot.

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
Does this quote not concern you at ALL? ?

Nope, not at all. That was the wage we were playing in league 1. Cortese gets paid £1million p/a as well on top. It was planned from the start and Cortese knew that the wage ratio would be high to start off with. Now that will start to come down.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Nope, not at all. That was the wage we were playing in league 1. Cortese gets paid £1million p/a as well on top. It was planned from the start and Cortese knew that the wage ratio would be high to start off with. Now that will start to come down.

So you gambled your club's future on promotion (from league one)?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
How do you know they did that? It could just be that Cortese was just going to bankroll salaries if they hadn't gone up? :shrug:

I suppose so, then just gome into admin again, if they were still down there a year or two later.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here