Richie Morris said:
The bitch.

Don't you mean "f***ing Evil Bitch"?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
On the BBC website:

Thatcher celebrated 25 years on

The Tory Party is to mark 25 years since Margaret Thatcher became Britain's first female prime minister.
Baroness Thatcher will be the principal guest at a dinner at London's Savoy Hotel, attended by current Tory leader Michael Howard among others.

Mr Howard last week described Lady Thatcher "as the greatest British prime minister since Winston Churchill".

A new portrait has also been unveiled by artist Richard Stone, better known for his pictures of the royal family.

Iron Lady

The portrait is the fifth Lady Thatcher has sat for with the artist.

Lady Thatcher, a grocer's daughter from Grantham, Lincolnshire, first rose to prominence in the Conservative party during the 1970s.

She became prime minister on 4 May 1979 and went on to earn the nickname 'the Iron Lady', becoming renowned for her strong response to the Falklands crisis, her programme of privatisation and her disputes with British miners.

Such policies as the sale of council houses and the acceptance of the free market, bitterly contested as she drove them through, have become common currency among British parties.

While Lady Thatcher's supporters credit her with salvaging the British economy, her detractors argue that her policies destroyed British manufacturing.

As unemployment rose above three million in the early 1980s, she became one of the most controversial prime ministers in history.

Nevertheless she celebrated her third election victory in 1987, in which she returned to power with a 101 majority.

Her final administration saw the introduction of the community charge, a tax on people rather than property, which became known as the poll tax.

Anti-Europe

The policy saw some of the worst street violence in living memory, with a demonstration against the poll tax in London's Trafalgar Square in the spring of 1990 turning into a riot.

Many of the Cabinet also fell out with the prime minister over her determinedly anti-Europe stance.

Differences over the issue finally led to Geoffrey Howe quitting the government in November 1990 - and making a valedictory resignation speech from the backbenches which fatally holed her premiership.

A fortnight later Lady Thatcher resigned, convinced that after 11 years in power she had lost the support of her own party.

But her legacy has been an undeniable influence on the Tory Party and British politics for the past 25 years.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
It was going well till the poll tax :lolol:

Dandyman

In London village.
Re: Re: Re: 25 Years since Maggie

Richie Morris said:
Yes..no wait:

"Fuckin Evil Ugly Bitch"

Fuckin evil ugly deranged bitch ?

I turned on Radio 5 yesterday, heard tributes to Thatcher and thought she'd carked it. Started a rendition of 'ding dong the wicked witch is dead', only to be let down a couple of minutes later when it all became clear.

I wonder if any Union oficials are invited to the dinner?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
There's going to be such a party when the evil old cow snuffs it. There's a bottle of champagne ready for the occasion.

I can't stand the number of people saying that Britain was a shambles in the 70s. It was the fourth richest country in the world and after 25years of Thatcher and Thatcher-like policies, we're....er, fourth.

But I can also remember that school leavers could get jobs, that there were student grants (and we could sign on in the summer), that there was such a thing as social housing and that Britain still had an industry.

Oh, and Brighton had Peter Ward too.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
When I interviewed Fatboy Slim a year or so ago, he got a text from a mate saying she was dead. Obviously it turned out not to be true but he said at the time he would personally hold a free party on her grave.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
She did one hell of a lot for this country but sadly divided the country further and further to the "haves" and "have nots".

Dandyman

In London village.
Beach Hut said:
She did one hell of a lot for this country but sadly divided the country further and further to the "haves" and "have nots".

Out of interest, in what ways do you consider she improved the country ?

I think she was our worst PM since Neville Chamberlain.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Dandyman said:
Out of interest, in what ways do you consider she improved the country ?

I think she was our worst PM since Neville Chamberlain.

She gave many people opportunities to be entrepreneurs which wasn't there before by freeing up the stock exchange.

Dandyman

In London village.
Beach Hut said:
She gave many people opportunities to be entrepreneurs which wasn't there before by freeing up the stock exchange.

and allowing them to sell dodgy pension policies, duff mortgages,BCCI shares...

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Agreed with Uncle Buck. Had Thatcher not had her ideas of 'there is no such thing as community' would society be in the anti social mess it is now?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Uncle Buck said:
So by creating a society of the individual rather than the community was good, exactly how?

I suppose that depends whether you want a society where everyone is equal as opposed to different classes.

It may well not be better for everyone but I am certain many people were very pleased with what Thatcher did.

I don't think we live in a totally "communityless" society however Thatcher encouraged individuals to get rich which probably also ruined community spirit.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Dandyman said:
and allowing them to sell dodgy pension policies, duff mortgages,BCCI shares...

Not everyone will play on the same field - some will always break the rules.

Perhaps we would have been better off fighting togethers as brothers in unions ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here