Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Irland 1 England 1
Holland 0 England 0
Egypt 0 England 1

2nd Round

Belgium 0 England 1 ( 120th minute)

1/4's

Cameroon 2 England 3 (2 - 1 down + saved by 2 pens)

semi

best performance + knocked out

Hardly set the world alight there did we. I blame the press for all the negativity for building us up as world champions .

I think we are doing very well

Ice Man

Jan 5, 2006
I don't know why people bitch about performances if we are winning.

Winning is the most important thing, and if we're doing that then what is there to complain about?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Dougal said:
Hardly set the world alight there did we.

?!?

The performace against a fancied Dutch side (Euro champs) was brilliant.

The match against Cameroon was close, but a classic.

As indeed was the semi.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Re: Re: 2006 v 1990

Wozza said:
?!?

As indeed was the semi.

I agree. We played good football in that tournament. It's incomparable to this set of performances.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003

Wozza said:
?!?

As indeed was the semi.

From memory we played well against the Dutch and had 2 goals dissallowed, then reverted to a 4-4-2 against Egypt and made hard work of it.

Cameroon should have murdered us in the first half, still we got through, so who cares.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Ireland 1 England 1 - yes a dire match, the highlight was the "eletrical storm"
Holland 0 England 0 - fantastic match - goal dissallowed for being direct from free kick
Egypt 0 England 1 - dire game , scraped through with a Mark Wright header

2nd Round

Belgium 0 England 1 ( 120th minute) - we had a good goal dissallowed for offside, Platt volley from Gazza free kick won it for us. Outplayed for long periods by Belgium.

1/4's

Cameroon 2 England 3 (2 - 1 down + saved by 2 pens) - we were outplayed and only won because the Cameroon team lost its head and resorted to kicking anything that moved.

semi

best performance + knocked out - yep, really unlucky own goal by Paul Parker

In 1966 and 1990, our 2 best World Cup performances, we have not played well until the knock out stages.

IMHO there will be people who want is to get knocked out on Saturday so they can start saying not good enough, rubbish, over paid players. Then again those same people will probably find something to moan about if we did go on and win the cup :shootself :shootself

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Quite a few parallels with 1990. Then as now the England coach (now the saintly Sir Bobby Robson) was vilified by the press for being a tactical dunce, and for taking another job whilst still England manager. England are actually playing better now than they did then, I'm really quite pleased.

The problem is expectation, I think most people now realise that Gerrard, Lampard, Terry, Ferdinand etc are not the world-class football gods that some imagined them to be, but for those who assumed that this was the best side since 1966 the dose of reality has come as a nasty shock. However England have never been traditionally one of the strong footballing nations and so by our standards this IS a pretty good team - I think the fact that the players are a bit better than we usually have is what sent everybody overboard on the 'greatest ever team' hyperbole.

Having said that I still think the 1990 team was actually better overall: Shilton, Walker, Platt, Gasgoine, Beardsley and Lineker would walk into the current side, Pearce and Waddle would be pretty close too.

Just sit back and enjoy it.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU

Wozza said:
?!?

They Dutch may have been European champions then, but they weren't playing like it. They were too busy arguing with each other to play football. Poor against us, and utter shit against Ireland and Egypt.

Their spectacular crash and burn in the 2nd round was hilarious, which is another good parallel between 1990 and 2006.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Brovian said:
Having said that I still think the 1990 team was actually better overall: Shilton, Walker, Platt, Gasgoine, Beardsley and Lineker would walk into the current side, Pearce and Waddle would be pretty close too.

Platt couldn't even get in the England starting line-up in 1990. Not until that goal anyway.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Wozza said:
Platt couldn't even get in the England starting line-up in 1990. Not until that goal anyway.
Shows you how strong it was! Hurst wasn't in the starting line-up in 1966 either. Given the history of unexpected players playing a major role any bets on Hargreaves being our player of the tournament?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Re: Re: Re: 2006 v 1990

Trufflehound said:
They Dutch may have been European champions then, but they weren't playing like it. They were too busy arguing with each other to play football.
How extraordinary - have they been at all like that since? :dunce:

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
I thought this was going to be thread on which was the better tournament as a whole.

If it was I'd say that this is definitely looking to be the best I remember for quality of football. Ukraine/Switzerland/England excepted.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
jonny.rainbow said:
I thought this was going to be thread on which was the better tournament as a whole.

If it was I'd say that this is definitely looking to be the best I remember for quality of football. Ukraine/Switzerland/England excepted.

Italia 90 had the least amount of goals in modern day world cup (which I believe is 1962 onwards according to historians) it was because defences dominated the tournament.

Witness Argentina virtually defending their way to the final on penalties or a breakaway goal (vs Brazil)

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
Italia 90 had the least amount of goals in modern day world cup (which I believe is 1962 onwards according to historians) it was because defences dominated the tournament.

Witness Argentina virtually defending their way to the final on penalties or a breakaway goal (vs Brazil)

Defensive football or not, out of all the tournaments I have watched in full 1986 onwards, it was the most entertaining in terms of quality.

I love a good counter-attack me.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Italia 90...

I was gonna give the spirit of 90 award to the Swiss after their performance last night.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Ice Man said:
I don't know why people bitch about performances if we are winning.

Winning is the most important thing, and if we're doing that then what is there to complain about?

I'm very happy that we're winning. Yet, I can't but help feel a little disappointed. You have to wait four years for a world cup so the sense of anticipation is huge by the time it starts. Usually a quater-final place would have me ecstatic but at the moment I'm not. I think this is due to the lack of excitement . I think I'd be happier if we'd have had some collosal tussles on our way to the quaters. At least then it would feel like we'd have achieved something worthwhile. As it is we've got to the last 8 without really doing anyting and there's a very real chance that we could be knocked out of the tournament without doing anything. And that, after the four years of anticipation, would be hugely anti-climactic.

The first tournament I can really remember properly was 90. That was really exciting, we had to fight our way out of the group, we squeezed through the second round thanks to a late, late hooked volley by Platt and then the quaters and semi's were both classics. That tournament had drama. As did 96, 98, 2002 and 2004. I'm worried we're going to leave this tournament without creating any memories.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here