Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

20 years ago today 2nd June 1991

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Fond memories of that day despite the result and that awful Chewitt wrapper kit (although I still have that shirt). Johnson ripped us apart that day although we did have our chances.

Infamous as the day Garry Nelson was dropped in the Wembley bogs - and that's not a euphemism.

Jonno

Enthusiasm curbed
Oct 17, 2010
Cape Town
I remember sitting on those horrible little Wembley seats with no backrests and seeing almost nothing of the game as I was too small (only 10 at the time). Als remember thinking how rubbish the Notts County fans were, making almost no noise despite being promoted.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
The thing that sticks in my mind from that day, was the boneshaker bus ride that me & my family came up to Wembley on from Eastbourne. I thought it would be slightly more luxurious than an old double decker bus!

The main bit I can remember about the match, is when we started to come back into it, quite a few of the Notts County players went down feigning injury, completely stopping the momentum that we had started to generate.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Good god was that really 20 years ago!!!!!!!!!

We were in the Olympic Gallery, with a bar all to ourselves, under the roof. terrific view of nothing worth watchin

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Good god was that really 20 years ago!!!!!!!!!

We were in the Olympic Gallery, with a bar all to ourselves, under the roof. terrific view of nothing worth watchin

I was given some tickets for there from a supplier (it was ok to take things in those days!) but gave them away and went in the end with my mates.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I thought it was Ellary , who told Gary Chivers it was a corner, or if not a penalty.

Dunno about that, I was in the Olympic Gallery right above the incident, and all I remember was the ball coming off the Notts County player and going out, and the linesman then indicating a corner. I don't recall any Brighton players being near tbh.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
I just remeber feeling proud but totaly gutted at the same time and seeing Gary Nelson sit down at the end deflated and heartbroken, and it was the first time I got a flag, White in the middle and blue either side, oddly enough it is hanging on my Sons bedroom wall along with some other flags

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
20years my foot, I am sure it was only a few months back!!! Oh shit Im getting old

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
A great season though, one match away from the top level, we've not been that high since.

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
I was just thinking about his game.

I will never forgive Tommy Johnson for making me cry that day....

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
That day went from being one of the best days of my life to being rapidly the worse all because of that ginge
He was a good player and on fire that day, we just had a seriously bad off day

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Humiliated by Tommy Johnson !

Blimey, how time flies. 20 years ago today, the first girl I lived with left me. She moved out while I was at Wembley. I was distraught when I got home, although it was Wednesday before I noticed she'd gone.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Cannot believe that was 20 years ago. Also, looking back on it I cant believe I was only 9 years old. Remember it like it was yesterday.

Oh well, we'll do it again in 12 months time...

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I came all the way back from a school trip in the south of France for that game: 24 hour journey by coach and ferry, then home, quick change, and straight up to Wembley.

I was fourteen and I cried my eyes out when we lost, even more so when the Albion fans started singing "We're proud of you" as the team did their lap of, er, despair. We were never in the game as I recall.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here