Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

2 Years

flying high

May 12, 2009
it would seem all the new players coming in are being given 2 year contracts,is this the time that gus and tony bloom see us in the premiership,your views

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
it would seem all the new players coming in are being given 2 year contracts,is this the time that gus and tony bloom see us in the premiership,your views

I reckon they want to be there by then, if not earlier, yes.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
or it could be that they dont want a vicente situation when it comes to signing contracts every summer.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would think that is the case with the older experienced players who they hope will get us up, younger players like JFC will be given longer as they will see them as the future premiership players..

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
'Both' players are over 30.

Three-year contracts for over 30s is rare.

JFC got three years.

You don't often get more than a 2 year contract as a free agent, I can't remember us giving anyone more than 2 who we have brought in on a free?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think part of it is protecting the club financially - don't want to be locked in to long term deals if the players are expensive, especially when we don't know if our season ticket sales will drop off after the initial good feeling over the new stadium disappears. I think the rest is just the individual cases; Kuszczak doesn't want to be in the championship forever and a two year deal gives him a deadline to get to the prem with us before walking away if we don't, Bruno is an older player moving to a foreign country, and in part is an attempt to entice Vicente, would we want to be locked into a long term contract with someone like that?

Also, I'd imagine there may be renewal clauses or options for further years, depending on how the players work out, how the club is doing both in the league and financially.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Does anyone think/hope that the 2 year deal for Saltor might mean a 2 year deal for Vicente?

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
You don't often get more than a 2 year contract as a free agent, I can't remember us giving anyone more than 2 who we have brought in on a free?
Technically Calde was a free agent when we handed him a 3-year contract in the summer of 2010.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Don't think we'll go for the 1 year with an option for another year again. I'm pretty sure Vicente will be a 2 year contract.

I think the only reason we offered that last year was because coming over here was a whole new world for him and his family. Neither he nor us knew if it would work out or not, especially with his recent injury history.
Fortunately, it's worked out well for everyone and I think 2 years is definitely on the cards.

And, anyway, he knows we all love him to bits, and sets all our girly pulses going!!

reigate

Nov 10, 2005

One thing that is certain - If we offer a 1 or 2 year deals and the player does well and leaves for free , NCS will criticise the club for not offering the players longer term contracts. If the clubs offers 3 or 4 yearr contracts and they are injured on crap for long periods, NSC will criticise the club for not offering them short term contracts.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
CMS got four years didn't he? And wasn't Noone and Buckley 3?

I think its related to age and sell on value. Saltor and Vicente, despite what we may think of them will not have a massive sell on value. CMS, Noone and Buckley will.

On an earlier point, I'd LOVE Vicente to sign for 2 years!! Please happen!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here