Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1990/91 Albion season ticket

Half Man Half Biscuit

Oct 10, 2003
Hove
I've just come across one of my old season tickets from 1990/91. £80 to stand on the North Stand. That was the season we beat Millwall in the play-offs - two matches, and a season I'll never forget. Anyone have any memories from that season?

Albionseaso002.jpg

Merseyside Seagull

Dec 18, 2003
Wirral
I have one the same as that!!!

Memories.........

Wilkins free kick. Millwall in the North Stand, and the interview with Wilkins after the play-off final at Wembley, when he was in tears and had forgotten he'd scored!

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
I have one the same as that!!!

Memories.........

Wilkins free kick. Millwall in the North Stand, and the interview with Wilkins after the play-off final at Wembley, when he was in tears and had forgotten he'd scored!

Memories, indeed. I saw all but one home game that season and about half the away games and the final at Wembley.

Was at the 6-1 thrashing at Oldham when it started snowing and the football bouncing of their artificial was like a powerball, and the 2-1 defeat at West Ham when we lost and at the 1-0 when we beat them at home, in the excitement my watch flew off into the North Stand crowd when we scored never to be seen again :laugh: The two games against Liverpool in the cup, lucky scousers. Weren't Byrne and Small great, what a partnership they were.

I presume you mean the Wilkins free kick in the last minute to get into the play-offs, whom was that against Ipswich?? which we needed to win to get into the play-offs. Digweed saved a pen in that game as well in front of the North Stand at 0-0 I think, do you remember that?

Btndc10

Sep 13, 2008
Great memories from that season! Got to be the Wilkins free kick in the last minute of the last game against Ipswich followed by the pitch invasion (still have the video on vhs!) Also the Millwall play off home match going one down and then coming back to beat them 4-1.

Wembley was a great day out but ultimately my biggest disapointment following the Albion. Can't remember ever being more gutted at the end of a match. Where would we be now if we managed to get to the top tier that season?

Also remember the 2 games against Liverpool in the cup. Coming back from 2 down at Anfield to force a replay (teams rarely came back from 2 down at anfield in those days) The 2nd game at the goldstone 2-1 up in extra time, one of the best atmosphere's i experienced at the goldstone.

Also remember beating West Ham at home

John Byrne and Mike Small that season were a great forward partnership. Would say we have not seen better since.

Worth the £80 you paid!

I've just come across one of my old season tickets from 1990/91. £80 to stand on the North Stand. That was the season we beat Millwall in the play-offs - two matches, and a season I'll never forget. Anyone have any memories from that season?

Albionseaso002.jpg

not only a cracking season but it lasted ages,it took three months to get out of the den after the play off game:lolol:

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
4-1 against Millwall. What a day. The North Stand was what football was all about on days like that

Me dad and I also went to the second leg at the old Den. A 2-1 win (Codner and Robinson I think)

Happy, happy memories.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
A great season. One that provides more vivid memories than almost any other, in fact.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
What a season. Fantastic memories. Went to Anfield for that amazing tie. Then nearly killed in a car crash just before re-match at Goldstone. But no way was I missing the replay; got discharged from hospital still in agony, called club and they exchanged my North Stand ticket for the disabled stand and I sat in my wheelchair watching the North Stand go nuts when we took the lead in extra time. Remember trying to celebrate but my injuries just wouldn't allow so just sat with the biggest grin until bloomin rush and mcmahon had to poop our party. Dalglish resigned days later. Liverpool's era was over. And it seemed our rise was just beginning......little did we know then. Before the dark times. Before Archer. Happy Days :thumbsup:

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
What a season. Fantastic memories. Went to Anfield for that amazing tie. Then nearly killed in a car crash just before re-match at Goldstone. But no way was I missing the replay; got discharged from hospital still in agony, called club and they exchanged my North Stand ticket for the disabled stand and I sat in my wheelchair watching the North Stand go nuts when we took the lead in extra time. Remember trying to celebrate but my injuries just wouldn't allow so just sat with the biggest grin until bloomin rush and mcmahon had to poop our party. Dalglish resigned days later. Liverpool's era was over. And it seemed our rise was just beginning......little did we know then. Before the dark times. Before Archer. Happy Days :thumbsup:

Rush was offside too

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
My South Stand season ticket cost me £120 that season IIRC. Great memories indeed, Liverpool away probably being the highlight. If only Small had passed to Byrne instead of trying to take the ball on himself...The two Millwall games were absolute crackers, especially the away one. I stood for the last 10 minutes ripping up bits of Argus Classifieds, and hurled the great bundle in the air when the final whistle went. I also remember the Millwall fans on the terrace adjacent to us setting fire to some rubbish at the end, and being glad we weren't in amongst them. Apparently though they used to do that regularly - that was their "main" terrace, where Danny Baker and the "half way liners" used to go. The performance in that game was a real turnaround, as John McGinlay had scored to give them hope and it looked like they would batter us for a while.

I must admit that when Ritchie scored that screamer in the Oldham home game, I thought our play off hopes had gone, but Wilkins came to the rescue in the final game. That free kick and someone being stretchered away after the North Stand did one of its infamous surges are my abiding memories of that game. The play off final left me completely deflated. Lloyd seemed to have got his tactics totally wrong and we went into the game with only one striker, against a very well-drilled Notts County team with two class strikers in Tommy Johnson and Dave Regis. I remember while walking back to Wembley Central thinking that we would get relegated next season. What happened?

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire

Albionseaso002.jpg

That, sir, is a fabulous photo. Love the depth of field *geek*

Remember the play-off semi very well, Millwall went 1-0 up but we then caned them with some lovely football and a few deft little headers off long balls. What an atmosphere, that day, as we knocked on the door of the First Division. Bugger that we slipped up against Notts County in the final.

Portlock, I never knew that story. Bloody hell, mate, that's one to tell further down the line ;)

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
Nice one Mr Biscuit.

Remember a kickabout outside a pub by the away end at Hull. Ball went on the roof twice.

Newcastle away on a Tuesday night. Bomb scare on the coach. 0-0 draw. Soaked to the skin.

Notts County on New Year's Day. Up at 6am. Igor Gurinovich scored!

West Ham away. Taking off shoes to go through the scanner. Loads of grief from the home fans.

Ipswich away. Won 3-1. Totally outclassed them. Met a mate that day who I've been going to games with ever since!

Great season. Probably one of the best ever.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Will never forget that year. Fantastic. I remember Digweed running up and down the edge of the penalty box when he saved the penalty and someone running on and patting him on the head. But the overriding image from the North Stand was watching Phil Parkes dive to stop Wilkins free kick and knowing that he was never gonna get there. Glorious. Codner wanted to take it initially and Wilkins told him to do one.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Will never forget that year. Fantastic. I remember Digweed running up and down the edge of the penalty box when he saved the penalty and someone running on and patting him on the head. But the overriding image from the North Stand was watching Phil Parkes dive to stop Wilkins free kick and knowing that he was never gonna get there. Glorious. Codner wanted to take it initially and Wilkins told him to do one.

That's so true, he clawed and clawed but in it went - he never had a chance, I can see him hanging in the air even now as it flew into the top corner! Bryne however was crippled and we missed him at Wembley. And Barnsley fans thought they'd made it into the play offs and were already celebrating until late late news came through from the Goldstone. Wilkins had scored and the seagulls slipped into 6th and the Den beckoned. Millwall were clear favourites. But we slaughtered 'em beginning with that late Sunday morning kick-off.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Took me back!!

Also got me thinking, comparing that to a South Stand Withdean ticket (seats but no roof, prob on a par in value terms-I know I'd also pay a lot more for the Goldstone!) thats a c430% uplift in 20 years.

The Retail Price Index shows a 75% uplift over the same period or an equivalent price of £140 now!!

I appreciate there are lots of reasons why our circumstances dictate the season ticket prices at Withdean, but our prices are not that different from most Championship clubs.

As a breed, football fans have been financially raped over the last 20 years!

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Ipswich away. Won 3-1. Totally outclassed them. Met a mate that day who I've been going to games with ever since!

Great season. Probably one of the best ever.

It's funny but I said after the Charlton game (and before the Peterborough one which was even more convincing i.m.o) that was the best ever away perfomance I had ever seen Brighton and that we won convincingly i.e thrash a side and not sneak a win.

The only one that I could think of that came close (to the 2 this season) was the Ipswich away game in season 90-91, 3-1 winners and we were 2-0 up after 10 minutes (I think) and after that great start singing all the game, brilliant, brilliant. Ipswich got their revenge though, was back there next season for the last game, they won and went up as Champions and sent us down :(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here