Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1901 Moan

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I think there has been a lot of negative crap on here recently (and have virtually ignored NSC for months as a result) so apologies for being slightly hypocritical with this thread but I wanted to share this...

Basically a lad in the front row of WSU (North end) by us was told by a steward who had walked up form the 1901 section, to stop banging on the advertising plaques on the wall of WSU as he'd had a complaint from a 1901er below...

Now in my opinion this is utterly ridiculous as it's a football match and the odd bit of banging on them has been done by many in the front row of WSU - much like the stamping feet on the South Stand at Withers, but only in moments of Albion pressure ie corners etc. I personally cannot believe that someone has complained about noise at a game and also that the steward has had the cheek to follow it through and ask for the guy to stop...

A few points:
A) No damamge has been and ever will be done to the boards
B) I'm not saying this is a reflection on 1901ers as a whole as i know many are loyal fans who splashed the cash as we'd waited so long for this stadium
C) Would the steward have acted the same if the complaint wasn't from the 1901 section? My opinion is that they wouldn't...
D) Has Classism now infiltrated into the traditionally lower class football...?

Thoughts pls guys? Seemed very OTT to me and seems like some don't want noise at the AMEX...

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
What if the 1901er in question was TB? :lolol:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
I think there has been a lot of negative crap on here recently (and have virtually ignored NSC for months as a result) so apologies for being slightly hypocritical with this thread but I wanted to share this...

Basically a lad in the front row of WSU (North end) by us was told by a steward who had walked up form the 1901 section, to stop banging on the advertising plaques on the wall of WSU as he'd had a complaint from a 1901er below...

Now in my opinion this is utterly ridiculous as it's a football match and the odd bit of banging on them has been done by many in the front row of WSU - much like the stamping feet on the South Stand at Withers, but only in moments of Albion pressure ie corners etc. I personally cannot believe that someone has complained about noise at a game and also that the steward has had the cheek to follow it through and ask for the guy to stop...

A few points:
B) I'm not saying this is a reflection on 1901ers as a whole as i know many are loyal fans who splashed the cash as we'd waited so long for this stadium
C) Would the steward have acted the same if the complaint wasn't from the 1901 section? My opinion is that they wouldn't...

Thoughts pls guys? Seemed very OTT to me and seems like some don't want noise at the AMEX...

Re A) this is false. Banging it COULD make it fall off & then it would injure someone...look at what happened when a simple bonfire was started in a field next to a motorway..it's not your property why do you think you can abuse it?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
1901'er!

Seems over the top for the occasional 'bang'. Maybe it was constant throughout the match up until the point that a steward put a stop to it. Maybe a 1901'er didn't complain, but the steward made the excuse to deflect the flack away from himself.

So many variables.

Oh, and D.

Yes, money runs football. It's not a working class game in the old fashioned sense. We are all being ripped off everytime we think about attending a game. :(

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Re A) this is false. Banging it COULD make it fall off & then it would injure someone...look at what happened when a simple bonfire was started in a field next to a motorway..it's not your property why do you think you can abuse it?

I think there is 0 chance of this and if you could see or feel the boards you would think the same. But, point taken, hadn't thought about that somewhat unlikely event. Fact was the complaint was about noise.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
1901'er!

Seems over the top for the occasional 'bang'. Maybe it was constant throughout the match up until the point that a steward put a stop to it. Maybe a 1901'er didn't complain, but the steward made the excuse to deflect the flack away from himself.

So many variables.

Yes maybe. Certainly wasn't constant (in fact i hadn't noticed anyoe doing it at all!) and it's been done the odd time all season, every game.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I think a package of pistachio nuts would be good for the next game, now what on earth could he do with those shells.

Reminds me of a baseball game I went to last year, this bloke went through a whole bag of monkey nuts and filled the women in front's coat hood up with the shells

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

A few points:

I think I'd feel a bit unsafe someone banging the hell out of a sign situated above me. Have I got to trust the tightness of a workman's screws just because someone can't clap and shout like everyone else?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I'm front row WSU and can confirm the advertising boards do wobble a bit so I reckon it's a genuine worry if someone's banging them to make some noise.

Southstandfaithful

Oct 22, 2010
H Heath
There are a group of fans that bang on the boards most games near where i sit....... doesn't really bother me but have commented to my other half that i'm glad i'm not sitting under it.........!!!!!

I would like to point out that the standard of moaning has just been raised.

Could all further moans please be this articulate?

Ta.

burrish-gull

Mar 24, 2009
I'm front row WSU and can confirm the advertising boards do wobble a bit so I reckon it's a genuine worry if someone's banging them to make some noise.

If I were a 1901 er I'd be more concerned about getting back to your seats quicker to watch the football match that is going on and supporting the team. BTW there is more chance of one of Seagulls Over Burwash lads falling off into their laps than that sign coming down

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
I think a package of pistachio nuts would be good for the next game, now what on earth could he do with those shells.

Reminds me of a baseball game I went to last year, this bloke went through a whole bag of monkey nuts and filled the women in front's coat hood up with the shells

Reminds me of my first ever football match. Worcester City v Darlaston FA Cup 1978 which Worcester won 7-1. I met up with a mate from school and we spent half the match trying to throw Smarties onto the rim of a hat being worn by some old fella in front of us - until he turned round and told us where to go! As a aside, the next game I went to was Worcester City v Plymouth Argyle in the cup a few eeks later which Worcester won.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I would like to point out that the standard of moaning has just been raised.

Could all further moans please be this articulate?

Ta.

I assume you mean the 1901er who complained rather than myself relaying the story?

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Well if you complain to a steward you'd want to feel assured that they would take it seriously and deal with it.

Aug 21, 2006
Royal Arsenal
The 1901 bit is surely irrelevant here, but is being used as a stick to beat the rest of us moaning, fairweather, johnny come lately, prawn sandwich eating toffs?

I hate this trend of banging anything in the ground, be it a drum, the wall, anything. Clap your hands or sing. That's all the noise that is needed!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here