Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

18k Max at the Amex?

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Well, according to Azure's recruitment ad for the Amex stadium catering manager.

"With strong people management skills and operational excellence, you will be responsible for delivering catering of the highest quality for up to 18,000 fans from various outlets including 15 fast food outlets, coffee shop, supporters bar and staff restaurant."

Odd. Unless their research suggests there will always remain 4,500 defiant masochists still mourning the loss of Withdean's greasy gristleburger and side of cholesterol experience...

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Not every one will want to eat or drink while at the footie...........why some will even still take a flask,old habits die hard. I think 18,000 is top-end, more like 14,000 even for a capacity crowd

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I don't see what is odd about that, if it's a packed house a significant number of people will be unlikely to buy any refreshments.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Well, according to Azure's recruitment ad for the Amex stadium catering manager.

"With strong people management skills and operational excellence, you will be responsible for delivering catering of the highest quality for up to 18,000 fans from various outlets including 15 fast food outlets, coffee shop, supporters bar and staff restaurant."

Odd. Unless their research suggests there will always remain 4,500 defiant masochists still mourning the loss of Withdean's greasy gristleburger and side of cholesterol experience...

Even with the '18,000 fans' I'm not liking the chances of getting served any food at half-time without joining a stupidly long queue if there's only 15 fast food outlets. Odds don't sound any better than they are at Withdean. If anything they sound worse. ???

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If you find yourself eating food bought at a football ground, then you have organised your day very poorly indeed.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
If you find yourself eating food bought at a football ground, then you have organised your day very poorly indeed.
Not when it's in Withdean Hospitality though. On the one occasion I sampled it, I was amazed. The food - and service - were way, way beyond expectations. Only emphasising the dire, overpriced rubbish that passes for 'food' elsewhere around Withers.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I don't see what is odd about that, if it's a packed house a significant number of people will be unlikely to buy any refreshments.
Indeed, but I think you'd still say 'up to 22,500' as that is the capacity, and 'up to 22,500' includes 18,000. 18,000 itself seems rather an arbitrary cut-off.

And you never know, we all might want a Zinger Tower meal at the same time ...

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
Are they catering for 1901/hospitality etc as well? If not, could that be where the extra 4,000 is?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Azure are experts in the field, so would probably know the numbers to expect from total capacity.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not when it's in Withdean Hospitality though. On the one occasion I sampled it, I was amazed. The food - and service - were way, way beyond expectations. Only emphasising the dire, overpriced rubbish that passes for 'food' elsewhere around Withers.

The food in hospitality at Withdean is indeed excellent (at least it was in my singlular experience of it).

But it never ceases to amaze me when I see the queues (QUEUES !) for the expensive lukewarm slop they dish up for everyone else.
As I turned up starving one afternoon last season (through a poorly planned day) I paid the thick end of four quid for a "cheeseburger", which turned out to be a wafer-thin slice of nearly warm brown cardboard, in a cold bun, with a cold cheese slice on top.

And people regularly accept it and quite willingly queue up for this.

Astounding.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Indeed Easy. I don't know what it is that entices people to buy that crap. I dread to think what parts of the farm animal goes into making one of those 'beef' burgers. Not only do people part with hard earned cash for the tripe, a large proportion of the fans are inclined to miss a good proportion of the first half to get in there first. Perhaps there are prime beef cuts available from 3.35 until the half time whistle?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I have been going to football for 44 years and have never bought food at a match. Like Easy, I find it hard to imagine how people can willingly queue up to eat third-rate food and pay over the odds for it. It's astonishing.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Can't people manage going 2 hours on a Saturday afternoon without having to eat ? Are they sitting at their desks during the week, then at 2.40 or 3.40 in the afternoon, suddenly thinking to themselves "hmmm, what I could really do with RIGHT NOW is a monstrously expensive grey meat patty in a cold bun. And to hell with the fifteen minute queue for it as well...."

I am genuinely bemused at this need, and would love to hear a regular football burger-consumers take on it.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Can't people manage going 2 hours on a Saturday afternoon without having to eat ? Are they sitting at their desks during the week, then at 2.40 or 3.40 in the afternoon, suddenly thinking to themselves "hmmm, what I could really do with RIGHT NOW is a monstrously expensive grey meat patty in a cold bun. And to hell with the fifteen minute queue for it as well...."

I am genuinely bemused at this need, and would love to hear a regular football burger-consumers take on it.
Absolutely agree, Easy. But when the offer changes to, say, freshly-made Wagamama-style plates, piping hot, imaginatively filled jacket potatoes, authentic home-made soups, Pret-quality sandwiches, Tex-Mex, Indian... and the like, washed down with a leisurely pint or two of Dark Star, while watching the post-match highlights and interviews then I'm in the queue. Not for TOO long, mind.

Don't forget, the Amex catering outlets will be open until well after the game... Surely going to be preferable to queuing an hour for the train, or the Park & Ride buses, no?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Isn't it simply not including the corporate who will eat at the restraunt etc?!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here