Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Argus: Forster 'sad to leave' 'fans outstanding'

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Just some quick bits from print edition....

Forster leaves with 'heavy heart'...'wanted extension and then move into management side of things' 'offers from clubs below Albion in League offering security for next season, but club thought they were in direct competition so were reluctant to entertain those offers which I understand'..'the fans have been absolutely outstanding to me and i'm glad I clapped them after my last goal'

Poyet....' he wanted to move on because of getting close to the end of his contract' 'we thank him for everything he has done and wish him all the best'

other news: Ashley Barnes wants loan move to become permanent..Poyet says 'gives us a chance to look at him, good reports after having him watched'

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Just some quick bits from print edition....

Forster leaves with 'heavy heart'...'wanted extension and then move into management side of things' 'offers from clubs below Albion in League offering security for next season, but club thought they were in direct competition so were reluctant to entertain those offers which I understand'..'the fans have been absolutely outstanding to me and i'm glad I clapped them after my last goal'

Poyet....' he wanted to move on because of getting close to the end of his contract' 'we thank him for everything he has done and wish him all the best'

other news: Ashley Barnes wants loan move to become permanent..Poyet says 'gives us a chance to look at him, good reports after having him watched'

Sounds pretty permanent then, thanks Fozzie for the memories.

Welcome Ash, you've got some boots to fill lad!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
So Forster says he wanted to stay and Poyet says Forster wanted to leave....

One of them's telling porkies and, sadly, it doesn't look like Nicky.

The way I read it...

Forster wanted to stay for the right deal and only the right deal for him.

Poyet wasn't willing to commit. Forster had a hissy fit and wanted away.

There are plenty of players out of contract every year and you don't see them going to SSN to say they are available.

He was more than entitled to speak to other clubs AND carry on playing for us.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
I dont think Gus is lying, I dont think the club were going to extend his contract, which is what Forster wanted, so he had to look at other clubs and wanted to leave for next season

k2bluesky

Sep 22, 2008
Brighton
51 goals in 119 appearances, Fozzie is a class act at this level but also an intelligent footballer who will make a good manager, I think it is a case of 'This town ain't big enough for both of us', Poyet knows having Foz around may be dangerous/politics etc if things go wrong for him and he wants his own people at the club - sad fact, we lose a good striker but I'm sure Fozzie will do well wherever he goes, he's too talented not to.:clap:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
The way I read it...

Forster wanted to stay for the right deal and only the right deal for him.

Poyet wasn't willing to commit. Forster had a hissy fit and wanted away.

There are plenty of players out of contract every year and you don't see them going to SSN to say they are available.

He was more than entitled to speak to other clubs AND carry on playing for us.

This hissy fit sh*t is really pissing me off this morning. Forster is one deal away from hanging up his boots and quite rightly wants to make the right decision for the end of his playing career. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. At no time has Forster slagged the club off in public, and when called upon (albeit briefly) since the contract breakdown has conducted himself excellently on the pitch.

Clearly Gus sees no future for an aging striker in his plans for next season, fair enough, so ultimately Nicky will have to seek that contract elsewhere, WTF is wrong with that!

I look forward to seeing who Gus thinks can fill the boots of a proven scorer, and I trust his judgement to get someone very good in during the transfer window. I am truly disappointed that some Brighton fans are gleefully putting the boot in to a player that has served us so well since his arrival here in 2007.

thejackal

Throbbing Member
Oct 22, 2008
Brighthelmstone
Yeah I agree it looks like Gus has been waiting for a good excuse to get rid.

Was gutted to read the official press release yesterday: no mention of Nicky's top scorer status; no suggestion that we'd probably still be in the relegation zone were it not for his many goals this season.

Anyway, my point is not what happened or why, it's that their statements contradict each other.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I am truly disappointed that some Brighton fans are gleefully putting the boot in to a player that has served us so well since his arrival here in 2007.

Not sure that is true - rather there is a perception that Forster tried to "put the boot in" with the club's management. It happens a great deal in football as we all know - some say it is the main reason Wilkins left - but there are hundreds of examples within the game of player power resulting in their "gaining advantage" from or over the club management or indeed in ousting the manager. On this occassion it didn't happen, which in football terms is the less usual outcome as Forster will have been aware.

I do think Poyet's judgement in giving only el abd a contract was niaive but I am also intrigued that the other out of contract players elected to stay silent. I suspect Forster did not expect that and it may speak volumes about the real circumstances

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
This hissy fit sh*t is really pissing me off this morning. Forster is one deal away from hanging up his boots and quite rightly wants to make the right decision for the end of his playing career. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. At no time has Forster slagged the club off in public, and when called upon (albeit briefly) since the contract breakdown has conducted himself excellently on the pitch.

Clearly Gus sees no future for an aging striker in his plans for next season, fair enough, so ultimately Nicky will have to seek that contract elsewhere, WTF is wrong with that!

I look forward to seeing who Gus thinks can fill the boots of a proven scorer, and I trust his judgement to get someone very good in during the transfer window. I am truly disappointed that some Brighton fans are gleefully putting the boot in to a player that has served us so well since his arrival here in 2007.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to get things sorted for next season, I totally agree. It is not an easy situation or perfect scenario with players being unsure as to where they stand, but that is football (and many many other industries).

He was perfectly entitled to speak to other clubs in the meantime as his contract is running out. What I didn't like was the fact that, seemingly, he went to the press and said he wanted to be placed on the transfer list or had been transfer listed, when the club knew nothing of this.

We weren't and couldn't stop him from agreeing something with another club for when his contract expired.

I feel a lot of this agro could have been avoided. There are plenty of players at Brighton in the same boat and they didn't behave in the same manner.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Nobody on here (that I can see) would deny Forster a deal with another club if he wasn't going to get one with The Albion.

He shouldn't have gone about it by using SSN before informing his present club though.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
I'm shocked.

If he's so sad, why doesn't he invite them inside and offer them a chair?

Boom Tish.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Thanks for the goals Foz. but we can do without your throwing the toys out of the pram thanks. :bigwave:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
There are two issues:

Forster the footballer: Thanks for the goals Nicky, you've done us proud.

Forster the negotiator: He doesn't come out of this with much credit. When your club captain is also your top goalscorer and the team is down the bottom the matter has to be handled right, and it wasn't. Poyet, Forster and his agent should have thrashed something out behind closed doors, not had this destabilising charade that cost the team points mid-season.

Some people are so fickle - NF has been one of the best bits of business we have ever done - has scored bundles of goals - made one mistake and he's being slagged off left, right and centre.

I felt for him sitting on the sidelines with Holroyd getting a chance ahead of him which IMO showed a lack of respect for the player he still is. It seems his hand has been forced and as much as I respect what GP is doing, I think he could have handled this situation in a better way for Forster, us and the club.

It is not as though we have an abundance of 'proven' goal scorers on the books and are still 100% safe - all the best NF :clap::clap::clap:

I read that as

Other clubs offering me a 2 year deal
BHA only offering a 1 year deal + the option of another

which one, when you are a 37 year old footballer, would you take

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
The best bit for me is in Gus using the word "quite" in the "He did quite well for the team" section. A clear indication that he couldn't fully praise him and that obviously their relationship was testing.
I liked the Forst in some ways and others not so much. A real credit to the team for as long as he was here and playing, but some things come to an end for a variety of reasons and his at least temporary farewell is not something i feel tragically sad over. Everyone will move and have warm memories of the past.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I think people forget that Forster triggered this by putting in a BIZARRE transfer request OUTSIDE of the transfer window.

Should have just kept quiet instead of spurting it across sky sports news (and anyone who thinks that wasn't intended is BLIND)

it's a shame as I liked him alot but he has made his position untenable really. A good time to split, and our form has been great recently without him so it's not like were exactly CRUMBLING without his diving and finger wagging, whoops, I meant goals.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here