Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hang on I thought Macs where safe from Viruses and Trojans, lol

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Wow. yeh. A solitary virus outbreak that infects just 20000 machines - and then only of people who've downloaded the software illegally.

I so wish I had a PC... they just get those piddly little problems that wipe out 10 million machines at a time..

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Mac Viri are rare but not unheard of. The truth is the simple fact that there are far more PCs than Macs hence the morons that write viri will try and hit the biggest target. Mind you assuming you have decent Antivirus software on either type of machine you're very unlikely to have any problems. There are exceptions and people who opt to go on dodgy (and often illegal) web sites are asking for trouble.

The sort of virus that will hit multiple machines tend to be email viri that hit email servers. That would be less likely to affect a Mac in any case as Mac servers are very rare. Mind you it's not just PC based software that drives servers.

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
Macs were never safe, there are just a hell of a lot fewer and I think only 2 that don't require you to type your root password.

Just had a look at it, it appears that you have to type your root password to install iWork '09 so therefore anyone stupid enough to do that deserves to be infected :p

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
I reckon we will see more Viruses and Trojans appear on Mac as it becomes more popular. I don't see this ever happening on Linux since the software is free, I mean what would be the point?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Macs were never safe, there are just a hell of a lot fewer and I think only 2 that don't require you to type your root password.

Just had a look at it, it appears that you have to type your root password to install iWork '09 so therefore anyone stupid enough to do that deserves to be infected :p

Indeed, overall Macs are safer but most people use PCs both at home and at work. It's matter of choice as despite what a lot of Mac owners say, both types of machine have their pluses and minuses. I've never had a virus on any of my PCs but that's mainly because I take care of them and use decent antivirus software, it's not rocket science.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I reckon we will see more Viruses and Trojans appear on Mac as it becomes more popular. I don't see this ever happening on Linux since the software is free, I mean what would be the point?

I think that more and more people will start using Linux, I'm thinking about it as I now have a spare PC. Considering what a let down Vista seems to have been I can see people looking for alternatives. As a matter of fact a whole lot of business servers now run Linux.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
As you know its all about educating business to use Linux. There is still far too much M$ snobbery in these organisations. They would rather pay for Windows Server, then install Apache for free on a Linux box. They just don't get it, or trust it.

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester
172_857-dell.jpg

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester
On the Mac what happens when I want to add a new Graphics Card, Memory can you do this on Mac?

I like the way on the PC Picture they have got the longest cables possible.

don't know why you'd need a new graphics card on a mac, but memory can be put in the back quite easily, i have done it twice on my powerbook.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
don't know why you'd need a new graphics card on a mac, but memory can be put in the back quite easily, i have done it twice on my powerbook.

Memory is something anybody can do, upgrading other Mac components is more complicated. However, as you say, why would you want to upgrade the graphics card in the first place ?

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
I would be worried that 2-3 years later anything new that comes out for the Mac would require a better Graphics card, or is it case when you get a mac you keep for a good 4-5 years before upgrading?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Still think Macs are better.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I would be worried that 2-3 years later anything new that comes out for the Mac would require a better Graphics card, or is it case when you get a mac you keep for a good 4-5 years before upgrading?

Well realistically a PC is well and truly obsolete after three years. People keep them longer in fact I've no doubt there are still people running Windows 95 but I tend to upgrade or completely rebuild mine every two years. Mind you thanks to my profession I have to keep up with current trends, I run Vista simply because I needed to learn it but in all honesty I wouldn't recommend it.

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing

Since Macs are used for different things then you won't usually need to replace the graphics card that often to be fair - my mate is a professional graphic designer and he's still running a 17" Powerbook G4. The latest Mac OS will run on pretty much everything, even machines that are nearly 10 years old!

You can replace anything you like in a Mac Pro thou.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here