Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes - what would you have done?

What would you do with a problem like Ashley?

• "Do a Murray" - let the contract run out, leaving him free to walk away

Votes: 16 5.9%
  • Sold him to the highest bidder now-ish, cash in whilst you can

Votes: 234 86.7%
  • Keep offering him higher wages until he stayed, aka "Do a Pompey"

Votes: 20 7.4%

• Total voters

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Club did the right thing. Barnes refused to re sign, I think he's gone as far as he can with us. Been playing constantly recently but he hasn't really set anything alight but has led the line ok. He's had a chance to improve but to be honest, he doesn't put enough chances away for me and rather than let is contract run out, sell and use the money to get a better player.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If we had sold Murray in January, we would have missed out on I think half of his goals. In a crude hypothetical, if you take his goals away we lose eight or ten points (depending on if he left before January 3rd or by the end of January). That was the difference between winning the division and finishing in the play offs. If we sell Barnes we miss out on his goals and assists, clearing headers, defence-alleviating free kicks won, and general all round hard work.

For me, the issue isn't simply that if we wait til the summer we miss out on his money.

Barnes is on course for ten goals this season and seven or eight assists. That is a significant contribution to any team, but especially so to one who doesn't have a 25 goal striker this season (thanks to injury/suspension).

How much money does reaching the play off bring in? How much money does being successful in the play offs bring in? A decent cup run?

Losing the contribution that Barnes brings to the team could be more costly to us than losing the 750k-1m+wages for the rest of the season.

Unless we replace him with equal or better.

Without the knowledge of who we have lined up, who we might try to go for and have a good chance of getting, I don't think I could answer the question.

With no one else lined up, I wouldn't sell. With someone appropriate lined up, I'd reluctantly sell. And this all assumes that the contract on offer was fair (both in wage level and length - I think some people forget who important contract length is to some player and how short some of the contracts we've been offering lately are, Ince was signed to a 2.5 year contract that is being presented as "long term").

There are too many unknowns.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
The club have done exactly the right thing. why should he walk for free at the end of the season,some supporters are really short sighted if they couldn't see this was heading to be another Glenn Murray.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
If we had sold Murray in January, we would have missed out on I think half of his goals. In a crude hypothetical, if you take his goals away we lose eight or ten points (depending on if he left before January 3rd or by the end of January). That was the difference between winning the division and finishing in the play offs. If we sell Barnes we miss out on his goals and assists, clearing headers, defence-alleviating free kicks won, and general all round hard work.

For me, the issue isn't simply that if we wait til the summer we miss out on his money.

Barnes is on course for ten goals this season and seven or eight assists. That is a significant contribution to any team, but especially so to one who doesn't have a 25 goal striker this season (thanks to injury/suspension).

How much money does reaching the play off bring in? How much money does being successful in the play offs bring in? A decent cup run?

Losing the contribution that Barnes brings to the team could be more costly to us than losing the 750k-1m+wages for the rest of the season.

Without the knowledge of who we have lined up, who we might try to go for and have a good chance of getting, I don't think I could answer the question.

With no one else lined up, I wouldn't sell. With someone appropriate lined up, I'd reluctantly sell. And this all assumes that the contract on offer was fair (both in wage level and length - I think some people forget who important contract length is to some player and how short some of the contracts we've been offering lately are, Ince was signed to a 2.5 year contract that is being presented as "long term").

Someone seems to agree with me then

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think we are very strict with our wage structure. Educated guess I would say Barnes would have, at the most, been asking for another 250k a year and I think he would have been worth that.

These are easy figures to throw around, aren't they?

You are taking about an additional £5,000 per WEEK, for a middling member of the squad - not one of the STAR names. If you do that there will be a queue of agents at Barber's door demand a similar rise for their clients. Before you know it you've got 10 players expecting £50k a week extra between them, and five years after that we're playing Pompey in the Beazer Homes League.

probably.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton

yep

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Why sell a solid, fit, goalscoring team player like Barnes to a promotion rival? I just don't think it's the right decision.

I completely agree with this.

We may have a replacement lined up, he may not have played every game anyway, and of course not getting a fee in the summer would be a bad thing - but not only are we losing out on his contribution to the team and to the rest of our season, a promotion rival is gaining it.

If we could be guaranteed a replacement, and if he was leaving to a team that we aren't competing with for promotion, then I clearly would have done what the club have done... but here I'm not convinced.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
If it were true that we offered him just £500 a week extra for a new contract, then i would have gone up from that figure by a couple of k to try to get him to stay on. I would have concentrated on getting the most for Bridcutt now so that we could sign Ince longterm and we could spend a portion of the cash that generates on an attack-minded player or two. If Barnes refused improved offers with the determined wish to leave, then i'd of course allow it. No point arguing about ownership and contracts and acting as if a player is a prisoner when the important thing is a happy squad, without giving in to every slightest whim.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
These are easy figures to throw around, aren't they?

You are taking about an additional £5,000 per WEEK, for a middling member of the squad - not one of the STAR names. If you do that there will be a queue of agents at Barber's door demand a similar rise for their clients. Before you know it you've got 10 players expecting £50k a week extra between them, and five years after that we're playing Pompey in the Beazer Homes League.

probably.

Not probably Hans, definetly. There must be a wage structure of sorts in place and Brighton are being sensible and adhering to it. Of course it's all pie in the sky unless you know for sure how much more Barnes was asking for and for how long. Then there is the question of whether Garcia rates him as highly as some on this board do, or maybe he thinks he can spend that money on another player who fits in more with Garcia's way of thinking.
Overpay and break the club....... Nay, nay and thrice nay.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
If someone on the other thread is to be believed, then the wage increase offered was pretty derisory. Still, in some ways I'm pleased that it's not only the fans being asked to pay for ffp and that cost cutting is extending to the team as well.

But to answer the question, I would have increased the offer to Barnes and paid for it by not signing Andrews up or replacing him next season, or alternatively by selling bridcutt

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Not probably Hans, definetly. There must be a wage structure of sorts in place and Brighton are being sensible and adhering to it. Of course it's all pie in the sky unless you know for sure how much more Barnes was asking for and for how long. Then there is the question of whether Garcia rates him as highly as some on this board do, or maybe he thinks he can spend that money on another player who fits in more with Garcia's way of thinking.
Overpay and break the club....... Nay, nay and thrice nay.

But surely whatever we paid Barnes it would be within our wage structure? Even if we went to the 10 he reputedly asked for, that still wouldn't.make him the highest paid in the squad?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I'd have kept negotiating until he signed, there are other players in the squad I'd have sold/released/returned (Agustien, Andrews, Hoskins, Dickenson, Ankergren off the top of my head) before selling Barnes.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Then if that is the case KS I'll fall back on the 'how high was he rated' card.
Also we must remember that a re-structuring of finances has and is taking place after the 2 seasons of debt at the Amex. FFP might well be affecting future increases in wage demands. The 12-15 k player or players may have got in just in time.

Igor Gurinovich?

Mar 27, 2006
Southampton
Hard to say without evaluating all the terms of the deal including the players wishes and the transfer fee.

But probably moved him on for the right price. Longer term cashing in on an asset while you still can is the right move.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I don't know much the Bridcutt offer was for, and i'm pretty sure you don't. I do know that if he doesn't start performing this season like he did the last two due to injury, loss of form or him wanting out he'll be worth less far less in the summer.

It was reported they offered £2M for Bridcutt, £1.75M for Buckley, I believe. Now, maybe not 100% accurate, but the Liam bid is certainly taking the p1ss IMHO.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

This is painting a very negative outlook on the senior management of the club (TB, PB, DB, OG). You need to have a little more faith that a suitable replacement will be found.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
i'd have sorted this in the summer. bonkers to be selling a key first team player in the January window. those saying he wont be missed may be overlooking how many games he's played, clearly a large hole to be filled.

When a player won't sign a new contract what are the club supposed to do? Barnes and his agent had their ideas as to what he was worth, the club had theirs. As much as I think Barnes was doing everything asked of him (ok, a few more goals would have been nice) but if his wage demands went beyond the limits The Albion are working to then his leaving was always on the cards. We got money for somebody who wasn't going to stay beyond the end of his contract by the look of things so good decision to sell him. Players can be replaced-no matter how good they are.

Thanks for your efforts and goals Ashley.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here