Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

why so many empty seats in the south stand?

So.CalGull

Sep 28, 2010
Orange County. California.
My parents and I stopped by the stadium on Thursday after landing at Heathrow, we went to get out tickets reissued after the club sent them to our homes in the states and while doing so we bumped into the Operations Manager and chatted to him for about 20 minutes in Dicks bar, he explained that the away team has two options, 1250 tickets first, (or 50% of the stand), which would allow for the away end to be split in two, thus allowing a "stand share" with segregation, or secondly if they require more than the original allocation of 1250, even just 10 tickets, that would tip the requirement over 50% and forces the away team to have to whole stand without the option of segregation.

So in short, they can either have 50% or 100% of the stand, Doncaster asked for 1250 first, then asked for a top up of 360 more thus making them have the whole stand even if they do not need it.

Hopefully that makes sense.

My parents and I stopped by the stadium on Thursday after landing at Heathrow, we went to get out tickets reissued after the club sent them to our homes in the states and while doing so we bumped into the Operations Manager and chatted to him for about 20 minutes in Dicks bar, he explained that the away team has two options, 1250 tickets first, (or 50% of the stand), which would allow for the away end to be split in two, thus allowing a "stand share" with segregation, or secondly if they require more than the original allocation of 1250, even just 10 tickets, that would tip the requirement over 50% and forces the away team to have to whole stand without the option of segregation.

So in short, they can either have 50% or 100% of the stand, Doncaster asked for 1250 first, then asked for a top up of 360 more thus making them have the whole stand even if they do not need it.

so they could not sell more than 1600 thanks!

I understood from another poster on here that the away end could actually be split 1000, 1250 or 1250, 1000. So either the home or away team could have an extra 250 if needed.

Was indeed a shame about Donny numbers and an extra 200 from them meant 1000 BHA fans missing out.

thoreveraviking

Jul 29, 2011
Republic of Yorkshire

No this doesn't our TO manager asked initially for an absolute minimum of 1500 tickets with an option for more, they were sent 1000 why I don't know then a further 250. they were then told there had been a printing problem and a 'sold out' bulletin was placed both in our TO and on all our fora.
A waiting list of over 800 names was made and after much deliberation a further 368 tickets werev sent out and available to our supporters to meet the demand of some of those 800+ who could by that time on the Tues/Wed before the game still be bothered or could make arrangements for travel/accomodation.
Had the initial batch of tickets requested been sent out i.e a min of 1500 for our 1 per. STH sale then we would have sold out simples. By the first morning of our general sale (some 2 weeks before the game incidentally) we had sold out of the tickets in hand.
Some of our support (like yours) unfortunately never got to see the match at all because of the traffic problems and many had trouble either sitting in Row UU (that doesn't exist) or shuffling around because of the duplicate tickets for just 1 seat.
We've covered this before and it's just one of the gremlins of opening a new stadium. i.e in this Division if we ask for 1500 tickets in the initial stages then they should have been forthcoming and more should have followed immediately. None of the ends were completely sold out incidentally hence the crowd or should I say if they were sold out then some were unable to get there.

I agree if at all possible then fill the stadium but please don't shove the blame onto us. Lack of communication was the problem here and I'm sure he didn't tell you that the problems we had (apparently awaiting safety clearance and pending a decision on whether we could have more) caused the delays and affected the plans of a lot of our supporters and pockets btw.
FL regulations state that 10% or a min. of 2000 tickets should be made available to the visiting team unless agreed otherwise i.e. between the 2 clubs, police advice etc and not on a SOR basis. I fear you've not been told the whole truth here. :annoyed:

The type of game this was, the new stadium, our relationship etc, would have meant that we would CERTAINLY sold out given the proper time to contact our waiting list . You have to admit that 3'4 days is not a lot of time to sort out a 450 mile round trip or for our TO to contact everybody easily. In the last 3 seasons incidentally we regularly took well in exceess of 1000 wherever and whenever we travelled.

In essence I think your club was hoping that we would only sell less than 1250 thus allowing you to divide the stand, hence the dribble of tickets for our supporters.

The Defence rests....................:p

Last edited:

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
I think on Saturday there was a big crash on the M25 and many Donny fans got stuck in it and gave up to return back up north. Maybe that would explain away loads of empty seats

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here